Wednesday, January 28, 2009

"Being a part of it" and some embroidery



Yesterday I finished this round embellished picture, it's quite big, diam. 43 cm (17"), consisting of embellished wool roving, pre-felt, cloth, yarn, fibers ... I haven't done any kind of embroidery or beading on it this time, as I wanted to keep it "natural" ... The colours come out a bit warmer in real as on the photo.

I'm much happier with this one than with the bird of previous posting - maybe I should just stick to my own colours in the end and keep it - yes, plain and simple!

But as I'm fascinated of embroidery lately, I made a some "embroidery whatiffing" after browsing through "The New Crewel" by Katherine Shaughnessy: I took a detail out of her patterns, simplified it a bit more, used other stitches and beads instead of french knots ... well, it was fun doing!



What I like about this book is that she uses modern (sometimes a bit "retro") and simple graphic designs with a traditional embroidery technique, which inspires me to draw some patterns of my own ... we'll see where that leads ...

4 comments:

jude said...

i never noticed ho much beads look like french knots. lovely detail

Anneli/Bockfilz said...

Thank you, Jude! I always feel so honoured when you comment on my things ...!

Paula Hewitt said...

I like this very much. sometimes I think one has to make something in colours you dont like much to appreciate/ discoover the colours you do like.

I was looking at this book in the shop the other day. I was tempted, but have a lot of embroidery books, so spent my money on thread instead. I like the queen Annes lace - it is a very pretty flower. i like to use beads instead of french knots, and often use both together for a nice effect.

I look forward to seeing some of your own designs!

Anneli/Bockfilz said...

Thank you, Paula! (I feel honoured by your comments too, by the way!)

The problem is that I cannot have a look on the English books before, as I buy them online ... but I'm happy to have a chance at all getting hands on them!