Thursday, August 2, 2012

Re-start with rock carvings

Oh girls - it's been a while ... Not that I have been too idle, but when you once stop posting regularly - due to the heat and all those summer holiday activities, for example - it's real hard finding a good access again ... Guess this happens to us all once in a while.

I know, it's still summer, but as my blog-friend Elizabeth/Landanna is now making a new start with a whole bunch of fresh photos on Viking rock carvings from her recent holiday in Sweden, I will hang on there and join her in mutual inspiration.

Yesterday I found these two pictures in a tourist folder regarding the rock carvings in Bohuslän, which she sent me in a mail - and today I 'drew' the outlines by free-motion stitching on my sewing machine.



A 'solar horse', the text in the folder said - I think it's a very elegant design, as modern as ever!

I like this second one very much too - makes me think of a woman on her way in a boat.



I've been doing some other free-motion embroidery on the sewing machine lately, noticing that practice really is the only thing taking you further on this matter ... I'm drawing the lines with the needle in a kind of 'Navajo technique' - sewing a couple of inches, then moving backwards again, forwards - slightly more than before - backwards, a bit less - until I'm happy with the thickness of the line.

I prefer this to going round the whole piece several times - the small motions make me feel that I have the line more under control.

My thread is very thin too - normal polyester or cotton sewing thread - therefore it's even more important to sew several times to get the outlines clearly visible.

I've also discovered that it's possible to fill the under thread bobbin with cheap overlock thread from a big thread spool - just put the spool on the table, close to your sewing machine and use your fingers to lead the thread on to the usual bobbin spooling gear.

Tomorrow I will proceed giving these two rock carvings some colour - and I will be back regularly now again, it's a promise.

(German summary: Oh Mädels - wie die Zeit vergeht ... Und eigenartigerweise, wenn man einmal eine Blog-Pause eingelegt hat, ist es verflixt schwer, wieder einen Anfang zu finden - geht es euch auch so?

Ich packe jetzt auf jeden Fall die Gelegenheit beim Schopf, da meine Blogfreundin Elizabeth/Landanna einen Neustart mit frischen Fotos von Felsenbildern aus dem Schweden-Urlaub wagt, und schließe mich gleich an.

Ich habe mit vielen Vor- und Zurückstichen, mit einem dünnen, schwarzen Faden freie Maschinenstickerei ausprobiert - und dazu den Unterfaden gleich mit günstigem Overlock-Garn gefüllt.

Und noch etwas: ab jetzt schreib' ich wieder öfter - versprochen.)

6 comments:

Jana Muchalski said...

Schön, von Dir zu lesen, Anneli!
Maschinenstickerei ist auch ein interessantes Feld... Mal schauen, ob und wie sich Deine spannenden Formen weiterentwickeln.

Mir geht es übrigens genauso. Ich hatte keineswegs eine sommerliche Blogpause geplant. Aber dann lebte es sich so durch den Sommer und der Garten rief und das Leben war viel und einmal der Fluss der Kontinuität unterbrochen, gelang mir der Wiedereinstieg irgendwie nicht.

Herzliche Grüße
Jana

Clare Wassermann said...

I'm so pleased you're back and I'm looking forward to seeing your new project develop

Elizabeth said...

You already started while I'm still running around trying to get some sort of order in all. :))

You made two great symbols and you're right that horse with the sun could just as well been a modern design.

Glad you are back posting again, so I can see what you have been doing.

Anneli/Bockfilz said...

Oh happy day - you are still there! :-))))) Thank you so much for your comments, dear friends!

@Jana: Ja, genau so war es, wie Du es auch beschreibst - eigentlich gar keine Pause geplant ... Man macht und tut zwar schon Textiles, klar - aber das Bloggen drüber bleibt über :-) - also wirf Dich einfach rein!

@Clare: Oh, and I've seen your beautiful puppies and of course there's no comparison ... but you've got me interested in trying the techniqe as such, dear Clare!

@Elizabeth: Well, I guess I needed some Wiking on a solar horse to kiss the sleeping beauty awake ;-) ...! What would I ever do without you!

WolleNaturFarben said...

Liebe Anneli, da war ich hier so mit meinen Solarfärbereien und Wollwäschereien zu Gange und habe noch nicht gemerkt, dass du deine Pause unterbrochen hast, erst durch deine Kommentare bei mir jetzt. Schön dass du wieder da bist, da fehlten mir deine kreativen Anrgegungen. Nun will ich es noch nachholen dir zu schreiben,wie anregend ich deine Maschinenstickereien finde. Die alten Bilder sind so ausdrucksstark und ich finde es sehr spannend wie du das aufgreifst und es dir so genau gelingt. Du erinnerst mich daran, dass ich mir auch einen freien Nähfuss für meine Nähmaschine gekauft habe. Danke, herzliche Grüße Anke

Anneli/Bockfilz said...

Danke für Deine lieben Worte, Anke!

Und ich freu' mich natürlich ganz besonders, wenn ich Dich auch mit der freien Maschinenstickerei ein bißchen anstecken kann!